error: refs/heads/master does not point to a valid object!

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: error: refs/heads/master does not point to a valid object!
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 09:28:49 +0100

Hi all,

since today I get the following git error when running git pull in my
emacs clone where the master branch is checked out.

❯ git pull
error: refs/heads/master does not point to a valid object!
Your configuration specifies to merge with the ref 'refs/heads/master'
from the remote, but no such ref was fetched.

I get the very same error in my emacs clone on some other machine, so
chances of a local hiccup are small.  Needless to say, on othe git
repositories, I don't get the error.

git log master or git log origin/master on my main machine both show:

commit 3785fe52e4692ffef14c0a1e50361c22d66fabe8 (HEAD -> master, origin/master,
origin/
HEAD)
Author: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>
Date:   Fri Dec 9 22:56:24 2022 -0800

On the other machine, it's an even older commit from December, 4th.

I've run

❯ git fsck --full
Checking object directories: 100% (256/256), done.
Checking objects: 100% (1170707/1170707), done.
Checking connectivity: 1170707, done.
Verifying commits in commit graph: 100% (195467/195467), done.

but that didn't help.  I'm still seeing the error on git pull.

Looking at
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/refs/heads?h=comment-cache,
it seems like there is no master branch on savannah at all!  I guess
that's not intended, right?

Bye,
Tassilo