Re: emacs-29 b8d2ec920f: Revert "Improve last change to xfaces.c" (05ece

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: emacs-29 b8d2ec920f: Revert "Improve last change to xfaces.c" (05ece1eb8b)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 09:09:43 +0000

Don't do that!  You did not answer ANY part of what I said.

Of course I did.  That you did not read it is another thing.

Btw, for posterity's sake, I undid this revert for two reasons:

What kind of development practice is this? You "improve" code in a complex area of the Emacs code base that was agreed upon after a long discussion only a couple of hours after it was pushed, without asking anyone whether what you want to do is okay? And you revert without even reading or replying to the detailed explanation why that "improvement" was wrong.

- unsetting the "extra" attribute is not safe on the Haiku port.

That's wrong. And you would have understood this if you had read the detailed explanation why your "improvement" is wrong.

- the bitmask variable is a real nusiance for anyone trying to debug Emacs or change the layout of the font attribute index enumerator.

It isn't, and it is not supposed to be modified on a daily basis.

Just because a bug has been closed does NOT mean the change in it is no longer subject to scrutiny. I don't follow bug reports that aren't related to X, which means I (and possibly many others) only see changes as they arrive on emacs-diffs. Which means that by the time the bug is closed, no, the discussion is not ``over'', and other people still have a chance to make changes to problems they see as they see them (a bitmask depending on the internal layout of an enum exposed to Lisp is definitely one such problem, so is unsetting `:extra'.)

Nobody said the discussion was over (although I was hoping it was).

But what you did is not a "discussion", it is the exact opposite of a "discussion": these are misguided changes introduced in the release branch _without any discussion_.