Re: Package "luwak"

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Package "luwak"
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:42:54 +0000

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > > Does anyone have a better name to suggest?
>
>   > Luwak sounds perfect to me.
>
> I think you are not being serious.  If you are, can you explain why
> you consider "luwak" better than "lynx"?

Honestly, neither of the two is that useful for a modern user
(ie. someone who hasn't investigated text-mode web browsers).  I still
think of the wild cat...  That being said, the discussion has been had
over and over again, and it always results in more or less the same
people stating more or less the same preferences, which is a waste of
time because it is entirely unproductive.

If this is to be resolved in the long term, I think a naming guideline
or recommendations (for ELPA) should be written down.  What are a few
good examples everyone can agree on, what are a few bad examples, and
what makes them bad or good.  What attributes does a good name have
(e.g. easy to remember, easy to write, unique, leaning on convention and
experience, etc.).