Re: [nongnu] main f4166f428a: * elpa-packages (emacsql): New package.

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main f4166f428a: * elpa-packages (emacsql): New package.
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:52:38 -0800

> To me this looks completely ridiculous: why split this into N packages,
> when each one is tiny anyway.

The reason I did it like that is only that it was the path of least
resistance: it replicates what is currently there on MELPA.  This
matters because other packages depend on the existence of e.g. the
`emacsql-sqlite' package.[1]  If we want to add those packages as is, and
have them installable, their dependencies must also be in NonGNU ELPA.

> Let's stop the madness and make it a single package.
> Nobody (neither we, nor the users) benefits from having such tiny packages.

I see three options here:

1. We could make transitional packages on NonGNU ELPA that just depend
   on `emacsql'.

2. We can change the packages to be transitional on MELPA, too.

3. We can make _only_ the existing packages on MELPA transitional.

With option 2 or 3, I think we could convince maintainers to simply
depend on `emacsql' instead.  This should be done before adding the
packages to NonGNU ELPA (so we don't need any transitional packages
there).

Footnotes:
[1]  https://melpa.org/#/emacsql-sqlite