Re: Moving etc/NEWS around causing release branch merge to fail again

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Moving etc/NEWS around causing release branch merge to fail again
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 15:34:09 -0800

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I don't use admin/automerge, I use admin/gitmerge.el in an interactive
>> session.  It asked me whether to try resolving conflicts in NEWS; I
>> answered YES.  Then it said it finished successfully.  I compared
>> NEWS.29 on master with NEWS on the release branch, and saw that the
>> entry for external-completion-table was lost; so I added it manually
>> to NEWS.29.
>
> Thanks, I'll try a manual merge next time.

It happened again.  I spent an hour trying to fix the merge this time,
and doing it manually with `M-x gitmerge' got me nowhere.  NEWS was
still being modified, and it didn't prompt me about NEWS.  I ended up
just fixing up NEWS manually after the merge, which is what I'll do from
here on out.

BTW, when doing manual merges, can everyone please try to make sure that
etc/NEWS is *not* modified, or fix it manually.  Merges with `M-x
gitmerge' are prone to such errors, as there are no automatic checks in
place for modifying NEWS, in the case where there are no git merge
conflicts.  See the FIXME in admin/gitmerge.el.

(Such a mistake was made in commit 6d6ca47aba7b, where the NEWS entry
added in 8f49137c9bf was merged into the etc/NEWS file on master.
I've fixed that in commit f1840cf12fda.)