Re: New Package: sticky-shell

From: Andrew De Angelis
Subject: Re: New Package: sticky-shell
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 00:23:56 -0500

@Stefan Monnier
Step 1 (same as for GNU ELPA): get the copyright paperwork in order.
       I don't see your name in the FSF's copyright assigners list, so
       either it's still in process or you haven't started yet.
       Let me know if you need help with that.
I have not started this. This would be my first contribution to free software, so I'm not very familiar with the process. Would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a rundown of what to do or just point me to the right documentation.

About `sticky-shell-prompt-modifiers`, I welcome any feedback on this current approach. My idea was to try to make it simpler for the end user, since:

(add-to-list 'sticky-shell-prompt-modifiers '(propertize 'face 'minibuffer-prompt))

would be less verbose then:
(advice-add 'sticky-shell-modified-prompt :filter-return (lambda (arg) (propertize arg 'face 'minibuffer-prompt)))

Even though they accomplish the same thing. But I'm having second thoughts, as I see how the latter is probably more familiar to Emas users.
And I'm also worried about the issue of the macro getting expanded every time we refresh the header line: I was thinking a possible solution would be to create a different macro that defines the function `sticky-shell-modified-prompt', using the user's custom modifying functions, only once when the mode is activated.

Honestly, especially if we 're planning on including this as part of `shell.el`, I think the way to go might just be to remove the `sticky-shell-prompt-modifiers` mechanism. If users want to propertize the header or customize it in any way, they can use the `advice-add` function they should already be somewhat used to.

@Jean Louis
I'm sorry but I am unable to reproduce your issue. Is anyone else experiencing problems with sticky-shell?

On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 2:20 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
* Andrew De Angelis <bobodeangelis@gmail.com> [2022-12-13 14:48]:
> @Jean Louis, about
>
> > I have tested it, it does not work reliably.
> >
> Thanks for flagging this. What version of Emacs are you running, and do you
> have any special shell configuration?
> I built Emacs from master last week, did "emacs -q" and sticky-shell works
> as expected.

I use development version, it did not work well, I have explained what.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman