Re: [nongnu] main f4166f428a: * elpa-packages (emacsql): New package.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main f4166f428a: * elpa-packages (emacsql): New package.
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 11:10:15 -0500

Stefan Kangas [2022-12-13 10:52:38] wrote:
>> To me this looks completely ridiculous: why split this into N packages,
>> when each one is tiny anyway.
> The reason I did it like that is only that it was the path of least
> resistance: it replicates what is currently there on MELPA.  This
> matters because other packages depend on the existence of e.g. the
> `emacsql-sqlite' package.[1]

But none of the packages in (Non)GNU ELPA depend on emacsql-<backend>,
so we don't really need to abide by the Melpa packaging.

I know I'm biased against such subpackages, but I'm really failing to
see the benefit of this particular split, so I think we should rectify
this in NonGNU ELPA rather than reproduce the Melpa structure for its
own sake.

> If we want to add those packages as is, and have them installable,
> their dependencies must also be in NonGNU ELPA.

I expect that can be changed when needed.

>> Let's stop the madness and make it a single package.
>> Nobody (neither we, nor the users) benefits from having such tiny packages.
> I see three options here:
> 1. We could make transitional packages on NonGNU ELPA that just depend
>    on `emacsql'.
> 2. We can change the packages to be transitional on MELPA, too.
> 3. We can make _only_ the existing packages on MELPA transitional.

I don't have any control over Melpa, so I can't choose 2 or 3, but
I don't see any need for those transitional packages in NonGNU ELPA.

        Stefan