Re: Adding the `prescient` packages to NonGNU ELPA?

From: North Year
Subject: Re: Adding the `prescient` packages to NonGNU ELPA?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 04:41:06 -0500

On 11/20/22 22:40, Visuwesh wrote:

- `company-prescient`: Use `prescient` sorting with Company

- `corfu-prescient`: Use `prescient` sorting and filtering with Corfu

- `vertico-prescient`: Use `prescient` sorting and filtering with Vertico

Could you explain the need for these other packages?  If we are talking
about a completion style, why do other packages require their own
support?

AFAIU, it is because there is no common way to call a function after
ending a completing-read and/or completion-in-region call so we end up
needing a UI specific way to do so.  The function records the selected
candidate, necessary for fuzzy(?) matching based on frequency and
recency ("frecency").
The README does a better job at explaining this than I do here (which is
based on understanding on how the package worked before it underwent
extensive rewrite).

Why `prescient`, `company-prescient`, `corfu-prescient`,
`vertico-prescient` need to be separate packages? Can't they bundle
together as a single package? Eglot has additional support for company
despite that company isn't a builtin package yet, and eglot doesn't have
a `company-eglot` additional package.