Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 17:38:51 +0200

> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:24:59 +0000
> Cc: Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I agree this is a problem, especially the language specific parser
> bits.  Yesterday I tried out tree sitter Emacs on my Arch system.
> Finding the tree-sitter system lib was easy enough, but finding the C++
> definition object wasn't so easy.  Eventually I made it,  but it needed
> compilation from source and a NodeJS toolchain that I didn't know
> I needed for that.

No, you don't need a NodeJS toolchain to compile a grammar.  You only
need to compile the C/C++ source files that are part of the grammar,
and then link them into a shared library.  I use a simple Makefile to
build all of them, as the structure of the files and the way to
compile and link them are identical and boilerplate.  And I definitely
don't have NodeJS installed here.