Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:56:01 +0000

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 3:53 PM Manuel Giraud <manuel@ledu-giraud.fr> wrote:
João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I agree this is a problem, especially the language specific parser
> bits.  Yesterday I tried out tree sitter Emacs on my Arch system.
> Finding the tree-sitter system lib was easy enough, but finding the C++
> definition object wasn't so easy.  Eventually I made it,  but it needed
> compilation from source and a NodeJS toolchain that I didn't know
> I needed for that.

Wait, what?  I thought that emacs would come with such tree-sitter
language definitions (at least for languages supported by
emacs/treesitter).  I'm on openbsd myself and those language specific
parsers don't seem to be packaged here: "pkg_info -Q sitter" returns
only "tree-sitter-0.20.6p2".  I'm not sure I want to play with NodeJS.

IMHO, should tree-sitter become the new official way to have programming
modes it have to be easier to the end user, no?

I agree completely, but wait, maybe not.  Maybe I was seriously
overcomplicating, see Eli's response.