Re: emacs-29 dc78779c0c: Fix SVG scaling (bug#59802)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-29 dc78779c0c: Fix SVG scaling (bug#59802)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 12:38:08 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  manuel@ledu-giraud.fr
> Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 17:51:44 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Our style is to write:
> >>
> >>   viewbox_width = ((viewbox_height * viewbox.width / viewbox.height)
> >>               * iwidth.length);
> >>
> >> and not:
> >>
> >>   viewbox_width = (viewbox_height * viewbox.width / viewbox.height)
> >>     * iwidth.length;
> >
> > There's nothing wrong with the original style, although I agree that
> > using extra parentheses makes it more plausible.  There's no reason to
> > be so stringent in insisting on the other style.
>
> The GNU coding standards seem to say something else:
>
>   Insert extra parentheses so that Emacs will indent the code properly.
>   For example, the following indentation looks nice if you do it by
>   hand,

Please assume I'm aware of the GCS.

That section explicitly says these are recommendations, not hard
requirements, a little above the text that you cite:

     The rest of this section gives our recommendations for other aspects
  of C formatting style, which is also the default style of the 'indent'
  program in version 1.2 and newer.  It corresponds to the options

       -nbad -bap -nbc -bbo -bl -bli2 -bls -ncdb -nce -cp1 -cs -di2
       -ndj -nfc1 -nfca -hnl -i2 -ip5 -lp -pcs -psl -nsc -nsob

     We don't think of these recommendations as requirements, because it
  causes no problems for users if two different programs have different
  formatting styles.

So please do not push too hard for adopting only one style and nothing
else.  Doing so makes this community less pleasant than it should be.