Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 13:00:37 +0200

> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 10:40:35 +0000
> Cc: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Why can't we bundle this code with the Emacs
> source distribution and build the shared objects as part of the
> normal build process?

For the same reason we don't do that for any other optional library
that Emacs can be built with.  And no other GNU project I'm aware of
does something like that.

So no, let's not go there.  Once the distros realize Emacs uses these
grammar libraries, they will get their act together and provide those
libraries as packages for users to download and install.  So there's
no significant problem here I see that we need to solve.  I'm not
interested in adding this burden to what we as a project need to do.

> Bundling is also one way to help us pin the grammar version,
> a dependency of our major mode source code.  The way it is
> right now, it seems that if the upstream repository introduces
> an incompatible change in the Foo grammar, our foo-ts-mode
> will break.

I don't think this is a real concern.  People who maintain these
grammar libraries are aware of the dependencies, and should not be
expected to make incompatible changes.