Re: adding a variable to use package-vc for all packages

From: Yilkal Argaw
Subject: Re: adding a variable to use package-vc for all packages
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 17:11:05 +0000

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 3:38 PM Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
Yilkal Argaw <yilkalargawworkneh@gmail.com> writes:

> I wanted to install all packages using package-vc in my setup and package
> vc does not seem to have the facilities to do so. Is there a way to add a
> custom variable to ensure all packages including dependencies are installed
> via package-vc. If there is no such way to do so is there the need to add
> it? Just asking before I go mucking about the package-vc source code.

No, currently there is no such option.  But before you try and hack on
package-vc, you should know that I am currently working on resolving a
bug where packages cannot be installed if a dependency is apparently
missing.  When that is done (I expect to be done within a day or two),
then adding we can work on adding this feature.  I expect we'll add that
to the master branch, since this constitutes a new feature.

That being said, I'd like to repeat that the main intention behind
package-vc is to make contributing to packages easier.  The fact that it
can be used to pin releases, was not a primary intent, so there could be
rough edges.