Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: Denote-Refs

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: Denote-Refs
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 02:17:27 +0600

> Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:
>
>> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I'll go ahead and add this to NonGNU ELPA.
>>
>> Thanks!  Got the mail!
>>
>> Anyway, do you think it is a good idea to write some text temporarily in
>> a buffer?  My experience suggests no, but if I use overlays then I can't
>> select and press RET on the links, and I can't scroll if the list is too
>> long.  WDYT?
>
> I am afraid I am not certain what you are talking about.  Can you point
> me to the concrete use-case?

Here is a simplified representation:

Original file:

#+title: Foo
#+identifier: 12121212T121212

After 'denote-refs-mode' enabled:

#+title: Foo
#+identifier: 12121212T121212

# 1 link
#   12121212T111111--bar__baz.org
# 1 backlink
#   12121212T131313--frob__nil.org

While saving (I don't know what happens while auto-saving :( ),
reverted:

#+title: Foo
#+identifier: 12121212T121212

After saving, again:

#+title: Foo
#+identifier: 12121212T121212

# 1 link
#   12121212T111111--bar__baz.org
# 1 backlink
#   12121212T131313--frob__nil.org

Inside 'xref--collect-matches', reverted, otherwise xref doesn't match
correctly, since the file and buffer lines don't really match.  After
'xref--collect-matches', again the text.

I'll need more workaround than the number of feature it provides.  So,

Do you think it is a good idea to write some text temporarily in a
buffer like this?  My experience suggests no, but if I use overlays then
I can't select a link (not really impossible, but complicated) and press
RET on the links, and I can't scroll if the list is too long.

--
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: akib@hostux.social