Re: git: vs https:

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: git: vs https:
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 23:35:13 -0500

>>>     * Makefile (admin): Use https:// instead of git:// for the URI.
>> I used `git:` because fetching a single branch over `https:` was *much*
>> slower.  AFAIK, this was because `git.sv.gnu.org` didn't run Git's
>> "smart HTTP" on its https server.
> There was no way I was going to run any code fetched over git:// :)

The difference was large enough back when I wrote this code that it was
tempting to think the "git fetch" was just frozen (IIRC it took several
minutes to fetch this small `elpa-admin` branch, downloading a large
fraction of the whole elpa.git repository).

>> I just tried it again, it seems that `https:` is now as fast as `git:`, tho.
>> Was I just lucky, or has the problem really been fixed?
> I just tested, and it does indeed seem to be fixed.

OK, I just checked with

    GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1 GIT_TRACE=1                    \
        git clone --single-branch --verbose --depth 1 \
            https://git.sv.gnu.org/git/emacs/elpa.git

and indeed, it seems to be using the "smart" protocol, yay!

        Stefan