RE: [External] : Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: Denote-Refs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: Denote-Refs
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 05:22:39 +0000

> >> Another point is that in the case of deftheme, the () might look like a
> >> empty parameter list, sort of like how (defun foo () ...) might look
> >> like.  By explicitly quoting the list, we "clarify" that this is not the
> >> same kind of thing.
> >
> > Can't speak to this; dunno what () you mean.
>
> This one: (defun foo (bar) baz)
>                      ^
> or in the case of a nullary function:
>      (defun foo () baz)
>                 ^

I guess we're miscommunicating?

I understood that.  I meant that I don't know
what () you meant for `deftheme'.  That's all.

But again, `defun' and `deftheme' are macros.
By default macros don't evaluate their args.
What they do with their args is up to them.
(And `defun' doesn't evaluate the (bar) or ().)

> > But `deftheme' is a macro.  Any understanding
> > of any of its parts has to come from the doc
> > string (or code).  A part (including ()) of a
> > macro call could mean anything, depending on
> > the macro definition.
>
> I'll be honest, I have never used the MEMBERS parameter of `defgroup' (I
> assume you meant that),

No idea what you're talking about, sorry.
I was talking about `deftheme' being a macro.
I didn't mention `defgroup' or MEMBERS.