Re: cl-lib warnings

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cl-lib warnings
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 16:20:49 +0200

> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:04:34 +0000
> Cc: juri@linkov.net, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  If we don't preload eldoc, it will be automatically loaded once you do
>  "emacs -Q".  So it makes no sense not to preload it,
>
> But I can't see how ElDoc can be useful when doing lots of
> things from emacs -Q like adding '--batch -f batch-byte-compile'
> or '--batch -f elisp-flymake--batch-compile-for-flymake', to name
>  just two.
>
> Even when just emacs -Q is used, which starts up
> lisp-interaction-mode, which derives from emacs-lisp-mode, it's
> not unthinkable that ElDoc won't be actually needed at all.
>
> So IMO ElDoc should be auto-loaded, but not preloaded.
> There's also another reason to do so: upgrading ElDoc via
> M-x package-install (note that it is a :core GNU ELPA package)
> is, last time I checked, made more difficult, and requires the
> user to restart Emacs.

If you want to lobby for disabling ElDoc by default, feel free (and
good luck!).  But that is a different discussion.

Our policy and practice was since long ago that any package which is
always or almost always loaded at startup without any user say-so,
should be preloaded, since not doing that makes very little sense.  So
until and unless we decide to disable ElDoc, it should stay preloaded.