Re: [nongnu] main 385623dca6 2/2: * elpa-packages (notmuch): New package

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main 385623dca6 2/2: * elpa-packages (notmuch): New package.
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:53:51 -0700

Hello,

On Wed 21 Dec 2022 at 08:45AM GMT, Philip Kaludercic wrote:

> Isn't notmuch one of those programs that usually distribute the Emacs
> Lisp code along with the package (or as a dependency) that you would
> install using your system file manager?  Or in other words, how
> interoperable is notmuch.el with different versions of notmuch?  Does
> the current build from NonGNU ELPA work even if I have a old release?

Somewhat interoperable.  It will often work fine, but not always.

I would never install notmuch.el using package.el, instead obtaining
matching versions of notmuch.el and notmuch(1) from the Debian archive,
or using upstream's Makefile targets which install notmuch.el.  However,
it seems that a lot of users like to install notmuch.el using package.el
no matter how they are installing notmuch(1).

--
Sean Whitton