Re: How to highlight the offending line of code with edebug

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: How to highlight the offending line of code with edebug
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 02:36:15 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 10:13:33 +1300
>>
>> When I write the following code:
>>
>> (progn
>>   (setq edebug-on-error t)
>>   (setq edebug-all-defs t))
>>
>> (defun foo ()
>>   tomcat
>>   )
>> (foo)
>>
>> How do I invoke the edebug debugger when you get an error:
>
> I don't think you can.  Edebug requires that you instrument the
> function(s) you want to debug in advance.

An approach to this is to use `M-x toggle-debug-on-error` and then run
the offending command.  That will get you a backtrace with which you can
determine what function it is actually failing within.  Then you can
instrument that function with edebug, toggle debug-on-error again, and
run again.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i@md5i.com)