Re: cl-lib warnings

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: cl-lib warnings
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 15:59:19 -0700

Hello,

On Sat 24 Dec 2022 at 12:26AM GMT, João Távora wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 23, 2022, 23:42 Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > Yes, cl-loop is one of the worst offenders in my eyes.  If I want to
>  > use Fortran or C, I will use Fortran or C; I don't want to see Fortran
>  > for-loops in Emacs Lisp.
>
>  Darn it! I loved cl-loop :-) I’ll curb my use of cl-loop in Emacs codebase.
>
> As a data point, some of us are, like you, highly appreciative of cl-loop, and
> cannot see anything remotely approaching its versatility in other programming
> languages.

I love both LOOP and FORMAT, but I don't use them indiscriminately.

I find it very interesting how many Emacs Lisp programmers want to use a
highly functional, Scheme-inspired style -- e.g. the recommendation in
this thread to use named-let -- despite how the roots of Emacs Lisp are
highly imperative.

> I don't know what its detractors recommend for iterating over a plist,
> to give just one example.

Alexandria has a nice DOPLIST.  That's usually what I use in CL over
LOOP, for plists, actually.

--
Sean Whitton