Re: Recent changes in parsing.texi

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Recent changes in parsing.texi
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 10:54:17 -0800

> On Dec 25, 2022, at 1:36 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 01:08:50 -0800
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> I just saw your fixes, so IIUC we are supposed to add a cindex for every
>> @code not in a @defxxx in the manual, like you did here?
>>
>> +@cindex treesit-font-lock-settings
>> @item
>> If @code{treesit-font-lock-settings} is non-@code{nil}, it sets up
>> fontification.
>
> If a symbol appears in some @defXX directive, there's no need for a
> separate @cindex entry, since @defXX does that automatically.  (Also,
> I mistakenly used @cindex where I should have used @vindex; fixed.)
>
> I added these index entries because these variables didn't seem to
> appear in any @defXX directive, nor had any existing index entries.
> If I missed something, please tell.

Thanks, I was actually just asking for confirmation of my understanding.
Because my impression of vindex was that they mark the paragraph introducing
and defining the variable. Basically you need to add it if you use a plain
paragraph instead of defar to introduce that variable. And your change seem to
imply we need to index every occurrence of a variable.

Just to clarify, do I need to add @vindex bbb in the following case? (Ie, do I
need to index every occurrence of a variable, or do I only need to index where
it is defined?

@defvar aaa
Blah blah blah @code{bbb} blah blah.
@end defar aaa