Re: How to highlight the offending line of code with edebug

From: Davin Pearson
Subject: Re: How to highlight the offending line of code with edebug
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 13:54:39 +1300

Consider the following code:

(progn
  (defun foo ()
    tomcat
    )
  (defun bar ()
    (foo))
  )

(bar)

When I instrument the foo and bar defuns for debugging by
entering the command C-u M-C-x over the (progn ...) sexp and
pressing the "n" key it comes with a black triangle next to
tomcat, thus indicating that we are stepping through the foo
function which is what I want.

The error message is this:

edebug-after: Symbol’s value as variable is void: tomcat

This is all good.  What I need to know is how to instrument every
function for debugging.  I tried the following command at
the top of my ~/.emacs file:

(progn
  (setq edebug-on-error t)
  (setq edebug-all-defs t))

When I put the above foo/bar/tomcat code in another file and I
try to instrument the foo and bar methods for debugging, again
with C-u M-C-x it comes back with the following error:

bar: Symbol’s value as variable is void: tomcat

Note that there is no black triangle next to the tomcat sexp,
indicating we are using the debug module and not the edebug
module, which is not what I want.

How do I get every function marked as instrumented?

TIA,