Re: cl-lib warnings

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: cl-lib warnings
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 21:47:28 -0700

Hello,

On Sat 24 Dec 2022 at 08:21PM -05, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> What can I say, I'm a pure functional programmer at heart (my own
> experimental language is pure, statically (and dependently) typed, and
> strongly normalizing).

named-let is nice.  I use when a recursive definition seems most
expressive of programmer intent and anaphoric macros aren't available :)

It doesn't seem advisable, to me, to force things that aren't naturally
expressed with functional programming idioms into those idioms.  But I
guess you're trading that off for the advantages of purity, right?

> That's actually the main problem with `named-let`: it's a bit too easy
> to use non-tail-recursive calls, which are not only more costly but
> eat up the stack.  Maybe we should have a version of it that signals
> an error if there are non-tail-recursive calls.

That would be cool.

--
Sean Whitton