Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 12:31:24 -0500

> When you clone the Git repository of those grammar libraries (which
> AFAIK is the only way to get their sources), you get all the source
> files, including the Javascript sources of the grammar, the corpus of
> text that they used, the test files, etc.  You also get the C/C++
> sources of the parser and the scanner (produced from the grammar
> files), which you then need to compile and link into a library.
>
> So in the above you are barking up the wrong tree, and you should know
> me better than lecture me on software freedom and what it means.

I did not intend to lecture you at all (I do know better than that :-)
I was pointing out that our helper functions should support installing
not just from the pregenerated `.c` file but also from the
actual source.

Whether they're stored at the same place or not isn't directly relevant.

[ The paranoid among us might point out that there's no guarantee the
  `.c` file actually matches the accompanying sources, and that maybe
  *we* should generate the `.c` file and distribute them from our how
  repository.  ]

        Stefan