Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 10:40:44 -0500

On Thu, Dec 29, 2022 at 10:28 AM Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> wrote:
> > Do you know how strong the dependency on node is?  As I said before, it
> > seems that it is possible to evaluate the grammar files that use the DSL
> > using something like quickjs as well
> >

> That's not possible, no, at least not without a lot of complications that
> do not seem worth the price, compared to installing Node.js.  And note
> that even if that were feasible, it would only solve the first half of the
> problem: to transform a grammar.js file into its corresponding parser.c
> file, you also need the tree-sitter command line program.

Maybe a better question is - is it possible to adapt the semantic
parser generators (or others in emacs) to create the ".c" files for
use with libtreesitter?
The functionality of libtreesitter is probably useful independent of
the tool used to create the module it loads, as long as it satisfies
the functional requirements.  Would the treesitter authors be amenable
to establishing a documented ABI for that component so other
parser-generators could target it?

Lynn