Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 17:00:52 +0000

That's not possible, no, at least not without a lot of complications that do not seem worth the price, compared to installing Node.js. And note that even if that were feasible, it would only solve the first half of the problem: to transform a grammar.js file into its corresponding parser.c file, you also need the tree-sitter command line program.

Not necessarily, that could also be ported to JavaScript.

I'm puzzled. What would be the benefit of doing that? Installing Node.js and tree-sitter is easy.

That being said, I don't imagine it to be an easy process.

Indeed.  The generator is about 13500 lines of non-trivial Rust code.

Indeed, grammar authors are not limited to the standard Node.js API, they can import other libraries.

How common is this in practice?  Is it encouraged?

I don't know. I'd guess it is not frequent, but neither encouraged nor discouraged.