Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 17:31:51 +0000

I'm puzzled. What would be the benefit of doing that? Installing Node.js and tree-sitter is easy.

Not always, I always have issues with Node.js on Debian Stable. Especially when external dependencies are added to the mix.

I don't use Debian stable, so I can't comment on that. On Debian testing (which is pretty stable!) installing the complete toolchain requires only two commands:

$ apt install gcc g++ nodejs rust-all
$ cargo install tree-sitter-cli

That takes a couple of minutes at most.

The advantage would be a simpler toolchain that would require less effort for the user to get running, instead of dealing with version mismatches and dependency resolution.

As you know, regular users do not need to install the complete toolchain, a C and C++ compiler is enough. It is only those few users that want to change the grammars or create new grammars that need a complete toolchain.