Targeting libtreesitter from wisent and other parser generators for emac

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Targeting libtreesitter from wisent and other parser generators for emacs
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 11:25:15 -0500

On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 9:10 AM Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2022 at 4:50 PM Stephen Leake
> <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> wrote:
> > > The functionality of libtreesitter is probably useful independent of
> > > the tool used to create the module it loads, as long as it satisfies
> > > the functional requirements. Would the treesitter authors be amenable
> > > to establishing a documented ABI for that component so other
> > > parser-generators could target it?
> >
> > That's worth filing an issue on the tree-sitter development site. I
> > looked briefly, and did not see a similar issue.
>
> Done - https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter/issues/2006

If I tried to do something quick and dirty with wisent to see if I
could get something working, can anyone provide some test cases so I
could tell whether the code produced behaves correctly with
libtreesitter?  I've never actually used tree-sitter, in emacs or
otherwise, so I just don't know what I would be testing for.
It's probably best to start with something simple that is easy to
write equivalent grammar specifications for both tree-sitter-cli and
wisent/bison.  JSON is one with an existing tree-sitter grammar. A
spec for EBNF type grammar spec would be straightforward to write and
useful as well.
Would anyone be willing to supply me with an emacs mode for one of
these (or similar) that I could use to compare the behavior of
tree-sitter-cli generated library to the behavior of a wisent/bison
generated library?

Lynn