Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2023 14:14:05 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: casouri@gmail.com, philipk@posteo.net, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>       dgutov@yandex.ru, theophilusx@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 23:08:11 -0500
>
>             > (message "Cloning repository")
>             > ;; git clone xxx --depth 1 --quiet workdir
>             > (treesit--call-process-signal
>             >  "git" nil t nil "clone" url "--depth" "1" "--quiet"
>             >  workdir)
>
> This discussion is about details of code I don't know, so I have not
> been following it.  However, making it depend specifically on git
> raises a concern.  In general, we should not do that.
>
> What job is this part of?  Why propose to make it soecifically require
> git?  What would it be doing with git, here?

Clone the repository and then build the library from the sources in
that repository.  The build itself uses a C/C++ compiler and linker.

As I explained in my other message, the ability to build the latest
development version of a grammar library seems to be important, given
even our relatively short experience, given how these grammar
libraries are currently developed and released.