Re: Easy things for Android port

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Easy things for Android port
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 14:04:39 +0800

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> One question re on-screen keyboard:
>
> Given Emacs' heavy usage of modifier keys, simply adding on-screen
> keyboard support may not deliver something very useful.

There is a free input method for Android which does have modifier keys.
I think it's called ``Any Soft Keyboard'' or some such.

> perhaps we should step back and ask "How Can Emacs Leverage Touch Input"
> in a broader sense, and use that as the motivation to do some real UI
> innovation

We already have touch screen support for the X builds, but the events
are not bound to anything at the moment.

Touchscreen support for Android is being worked on, but I think it will
also require a lot of Lisp for gesture recognition, et cetera.  Does
anyone want to write that?

Thanks.