Re: Partly deferred font-locking?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Partly deferred font-locking?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 14:44:11 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I just tried
>>
>> (while-no-input (let ((x 0)) (while t (cl-incf x) (when (> 3 (random
>> 1000000)) (message "%d" x)))))
>>
>> and it does not block.
>
> Do you understand why?  Specifically: which code in Emacs caused us to
> throw on input in this case?  And is that going to happen when Emacs
> calls a C function that hits the disk?

AFAIU, maybe_quit throws the necessary signal as needed.

For external C functions that interact with disk, they will indeed not
produce the signal. However, the signal will likely be thrown soon after
disk interaction ends. In my experience, helm command that opens a
number of files is successfully interrupted after populating a file
buffer but before initializing the major mode.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,