Re: Difficulty building tree-sitter grammars [was: Help sought from C++

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Difficulty building tree-sitter grammars [was: Help sought from C++ expert: ....]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 08:44:39 +0200

> Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 20:56:13 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > I'm not going to make NEWS a step-by-step tutorial for how to compile
> > a bunch of files into a shared library.  That is too much to expect
> > from us.  It is NOT our job to teach people how to do that.
>
> Believe it or not, I've never built a shared library in my life (aside
> from invoking makefiles) and I'm sure I'm far from being alone.

Like I said: then building the libraries is not something you should
try on your own.

> These libraries come with makefiles, so there is no need to get into the
> details of how to build them.

Only some of them come with Makefiles, the majority doesn't.  Which is
why those Makefiles aren't mentioned in NEWS: you cannot rely on their
being there.

> At Dmitry pointed out, it turns out there's a makefile-equivalent for
> these grammar libraries, namely treesit-install-language-grammar.  This
> worked well for me.
>
> Why is it not mentioned first in NEWS, something like "Typically you can
> build and install a grammar with ....." followed by "To build a grammar
> outside of Emacs ..." and the description of compiling linking and so on?

Isn't that already so?

But that command cannot solve all the problems for users who have no
experience in building from sources.  So some of them will still need
someone else to do this.