Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's ma

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's manual
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 21:38:24 +0000

On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 9:13 PM Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon,  6 Mar 2023 at 18:32, João Távora wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 6:18 PM Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> wrote:

> You're done and scratching your head, wondering why your server didn't
> pick up the settings yet.

Don't exaggerate.  There's a command to signal a new changed configuration
to the server.  If we want we can even hook up a variable watcher and call
it automatically, but this is beside the point here.

> By that reasoning one would want the entire events buffer in JSON
> format.  In my recollection that command was really intended to debug
> user configurations.

Sure, and making a JSON version of the eglot events buffer is probably
a good idea.  Patches welcome.

> Fair enough.  I think you might be overestimating the general interest
> in those things

BTW... in reply to your earlier point. It was you, not me, who expressed
interest in a separate buffer interface where you could edit
eglot-workspace-configuration's value and finish with a C-c.  The proposal
you put forth is unacceptable to me, I'm afraid.  But I'm giving you
my view on what is an equivalent and more generally useful functionality.

So am I overestimating _your_ interest? Maybe I am, and perhaps
putting a bit too much effort in coming up in solutions to your problem.

There's nothing stopping you from making a third-party package that
implements your vision for this.  You can start with some function-add
to eglot-show-workspace-configuration, and if it's solid enough, we
can make a hook.

João