Re: Merging feature/android

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging feature/android
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 15:46:19 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  arsen@aarsen.me,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 14:58:35 +0800
>
> Anyway, since this support is going to be made `ifavailable' by default
> for Android

Only because you keep insisting that it's needed.  My preference is to
leave it "default ON" on all platforms.  I see no reason why having
Android users see the error and re-run configure with ifavailable (if
needed) would be such a catastrophe.  We _want_ Emacs to be capable of
do that, so that the user could take the remedial action if possible.

> On newer versions of Android, modules don't work anyway because security
> policy prohibits calling dlopen or exec on files in application writable
> directories, but that is besides the point.

The users who build Emacs on Android aren't necessarily Android
experts.  They could be Emacs experts who just happen to use Android.
Why not make sure they are acutely aware of the issue?

(I don't believe we are still arguing about this nit.  Why on Earth?)