Re: New (only?) extensible logging package for Emacs

From: Matúš Goljer
Subject: Re: New (only?) extensible logging package for Emacs
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:13:50 +0100

> Such a logging library might also be helpful in interactive use when
> debugging problems that cause Emacs to freeze or (god forbid) to segfault. In
> that case I could still find log messages outside of Emacs.

This is a good point and in fact I just used it in this way today.  I'm
debugging some async code (via emacs-async) package and as you might
imagine, it's rather complicated.  Logging to files made it much
simpler, and I only had to add one line (the file appender)

> In my case I'd love to feed logs into journald.

What unit would it log to though?  Or can journald also ingest logs for
non-unit source?  Since I imagine not many people run Emacs as a systemd
service.  I'm not very knowledgable about this stuff :grin:

Ihor also mentioned appender to log into *warnings*... so there's
definitely a lot of potential destinations to be handled out of the box.

--
Best regards,
  Matúš Goljer