Re: contributing to Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: contributing to Emacs
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2023 21:58:17 -0400

  > > Features that require Javascript are totallky unacceptable if the JS
  > > code is nonfree (see https://gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html)
  > > and problematical even if the JS code is free
  > > (see https://gnu.org/philosophy/wwworst-app-store.html).

  > Why do you assume JavaScript = nonfree? Mailman3-Hyperkitty is free
  > software.

I don't assume that.  In fact, I said explicitly that I don't.  I said,

> Features that require Javascript are totallky unacceptable if the JS
> code is nonfree (see https://gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html)
> and problematical even if the JS code is free
> (see https://gnu.org/philosophy/wwworst-app-store.html).

You're arguing against a moral issue based on practical convenience.
For the free software movement, moral issues are the most important.

  > Besides avoiding JavaScript in modern web is impossible in 99% of the
  > cases besides for websites that load all of [what they display]
synchronously
  > on the initial load of the page.

Web sites hand a method for handling that in 2000: divide the material
into pages in a sensible way, and show each page completely when the user
goes there.

  > You can't modify code... that is loaded of from other computers,

That ie exactly the problem I mentioned.  This is why it is bad
for web sites to send code to execute in the user's browser.

  > the entity that hosts a web application such as Hyperkitty is in control
  > which JavaScript is shipped.

Yes, exactly.  That why Hyperkitty is fundamentally morally flawed.