Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 12:20:01 +0300

> From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  drew.adams@oracle.com,  eggert@cs.ucla.edu,
>   monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
> Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 10:47:53 +0200

> >> All I'm asking for is a unique indicator for UTF-8. Wouldn't this be
> >> justified for the most common encoding (or maybe it's second after
> >> ASCII)?
>
> > Sorry, I'm not interested in such radical changes.  UTF-8 is an
> > important encoding, but that doesn't justify what you propose.  In the
> > absolute majority of cases, "U" already means UTF-8 and nothing else,
> > so the issue is marginal at best, and making such significant
> > incompatible changes in user-facing displays is unjustified from my
> > POV.
>
> Sorry, but in what world does this qualify as a "radical change"?

In this one.  People have been staring at "U" (and "UUU" on TTY
frames) since Emacs 23.1 was released.  If someone cares about those
characters so much so that they want them changed, please think about
others who care about them and would be surprised and probably worried
by suddenly seeing a different character.  (If the assumption is that
people don't care about these indications, then this whole discussion
is moot to begin with.)

> I propose changing UTF-16 and UTF-7 from uppercase "U" to lowercase "u",
> and koi8 to some other character like "K".

Yes, I understand the proposal.