Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 20:31:14 +0800

Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> writes:

> IMHO it doesn't make sense at all. UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-7 are
> completely different encodings which have nothing in common except
> their name.

I disagree.  UTF-7, UTF-8 and UTF-16 both encode the same coded
character set (or at least the BMP of the same character set.)  That's a
far cry from there being ``nothing in common''.

> All I'm asking for is a unique indicator for UTF-8. Wouldn't this be
> justified for the most common encoding (or maybe it's second after
> ASCII)?

Why would UTF-8 warrant a unique indicator on the basis of popularity
alone?  The indicator is supposed to describe the coded character set:
people who also need to know the coding system (which is not needed as
often) can also read its tooltip text.