Re: Concurrency via isolated process/thread

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Concurrency via isolated process/thread
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 12:45:59 +0000

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>
>>      3.37%  emacs         emacs                                  [.]
>> allocate_vectorlike
>>      2.90%  emacs         emacs                                  [.]
>> buf_charpos_to_bytepos
>>      2.82%  emacs         emacs                                  [.]
>> find_interval
>
> Out of all those functions, I think only these three will require some
> form of interlocking.  So assuming that the Org parser is being run
> concurrently, less than 10% of it will be unable to run simultaneously.

No, the whole buffer will need to be locked for modification for the
duration of the parsing. Or the parser state info about AST buffer
positions will be broken.

But my point was not about the details of how Org parser works. I just
wanted to show that memory allocation is not necessarily negligible.
Is it slow enough to block interlocking idea? Maybe, maybe not.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,