Re: Concurrency via isolated process/thread

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Concurrency via isolated process/thread
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 06:29:41 +0200

On Sat, Jul 08, 2023 at 08:44:17AM +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>
> > So, we can hold when interrupt_input_blocked is changed until the thread
> > becomes main thread?
>
> IMHO there should only be a single main thread processing input and
> display, since that's required by most GUI toolkits.

This is a hard lesson Sun had to learn while developing the GUI toolkits
for the Java platform. After trying hard to have a multithreaded GUI
(Swing, if I remember correctly [1]) they had to back out due to lots of
hard-to-chase bugs.

Since
Cheers

[1] They had a strong motivation, since their hardware (remember Niagara?)
   was going the massive-parallel path