Re: Whitespace in mode line of 29.1-rc1 emacsclient frames

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: Whitespace in mode line of 29.1-rc1 emacsclient frames
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 17:20:25 +0530

[வியாழன் ஜூலை 27, 2023] Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>>> U:@---  *scratch*      All L4     (Lisp Interaction ElDoc)
>>>
>>> With Emacs 29.1-rc1 I get:
>>>
>>> U:   @---    *scratch*      All   L4     (Lisp Interaction ElDoc)
>>>
>>> [...]
>> Yes.  See bug#58183 [1].  I see this too but cannot reproduce it
>> reliably.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time recently to look
>> deeply into this issue.
>> FWIW, this issue goes away if you set mode-line-compact which is why it
>> took me a long time to notice.
>
>> 1. https://yhetil.org/emacs-bugs/87r0ztuaj5.fsf@miha-pc/
>
> Thank you very much! I wasn't aware that mode-line-compact exists.

You do lose out on being able to click on minor and major modes listed
in the mode-line to bring up the menus, see bug#64650 [1].  But this was
fixed recently on master.

> Still, min-width should probably apply to the whole U:@--- string, not
> to individual characters of it?

AFAIU, the idea was to make all the individual characters easily
clickable when the mode-line uses a variable-pitch font which is why
each character has the property.

1.
https://yhetil.org/emacs-bugs/E4CLAcF9C1bzg1OPj7GPgdqBLKWtJhlVhwgq9gZkXF_TY9zgPi4LvG8y9SQ3IrOboBRltqUcQ5gGQxSf5DK0sz7lE5l__Mb7fyNp-WwgHes=@proton.me/