Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 08:33:47 +0000

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> Maybe we can use SBCL to compile Elisp, and after that
> integrate it into Emacs so you would be able to run all old
> Elisp without changing the code, only now it would in fact be
> Common Lisp implementing Elisp, i.e. the opposite of our
> cl-lib (`cl-loop' etc).

You would at least need to convert between internal object
representation in Elisp and CL. Not to mention many other non-obvious
problems arising from subtle differences in the function behavior.

In principle, Emacs has support for external modules. But it is not
widely used.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,