Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 07:02:24 -0400

   >>    I am talking about the end result (native code) we achieve after
   >>    converting source Elisp into byte-code and then into native code. Not
   >>    about the byte code.
   >
   > The end result depends on what the Emacs Lisp compiler produces,
   > Native compilation will not figure out that using ASSQ is better when
   > calling ASSOC has fixnums in it (see byte-opt.el for example of the
   > required Lisp wrangling that is required -- and something that SBCL
   > does in a much larger scale).
   >
   > That is the type of optimizations that matter more than JIT.

   Native compilation can actually do it. And it can (AFAIU) do it more
   efficiently compared to what we have in byte-opt.el, because it uses
   more sophisticated data flow analysis to derive type information.

I said _figure out_ -- that is something for a human to do.  You can
put the optimization where ever you want, native compilation cannot
figure out things magically.  It is what you are essentially arguing,
that native compilation fixes every problem.  Native compilation
depends on what the Emacs compiler produces at the end of the day more
than what simple optimizations you can do.

If the Emacs compiler produces good code, which it does not do today,
then native compilation will also produce better code.