Re: Emacs syntax for filenames to mean "absolute location on the current

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Emacs syntax for filenames to mean "absolute location on the current remote host"?
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:23:14 -0700

On 9/1/2023 11:36 AM, Jim Porter wrote:
I think the first thing I'll do then is to try and understand *exactly* how quoted file names work, and then update the manual to clarify this. Once I know exactly how they work, it should be easier to be sure that I won't mess anything up with these Eshell improvements.

Hmm, it turns out the behavior of quoted file names is inconsistent here. "C-x C-f /:~ RET" opens dired for the user's home dir on GNU/Linux, but opens a buffer for a new file named tilde on MS-Windows. I've filed bug#65685 for this.