Re: Copyright Assignment

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Copyright Assignment
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 00:18:15 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Good question, I got a mail "Tarball build failure for
>> wrap-search" which seems to boil down to
>>
>>   Missing copyright notice in wrap-search/wrap-search.el
>>
>> Maybe you should just add
>>
>> ;; Copyright: J Hacker (1997)
>>
>> to the headers?
>>
>> I think looking at how other people do it is probably the way
>> to find out. Okay, I'm on it ... [...]
>
> This is all completely unrelated to the OP's request.

If I'm allowed to change the subject then, for GNU ELPA one
needs

;; Copyright (C) 2023 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

as well as

;; This file is part of GNU Emacs.
;;
;; GNU Emacs is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;; the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
;; (at your option) any later version.
;;
;; GNU Emacs is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
;;
;; along with GNU Emacs.  If not, see <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

Don't indent that BTW! If you do the folding doesn't work with
`elide-head-mode'.

Also, after getting the error from GNU ELPA that I reported
one should, apart from adding those two things, increment the
version number so that ELPA will notice and compile the new
version changes.

The error message I got in a mail was clear for me to, after
several days of not thinking about it, figure out the problem.
But it could be more clear, possibly hyperlinking to or
even including a boilerplate GNU ELPA package file to show
exactly how it should look.

I managed to solve it by looking at/in sml-mode.el which
I already had from GNU ELPA, but it was a close call, and
anywhere below that on the cognitive scale - for me
personally, or inside another person - I suppose one would
have been completely incomprehensive as to what it was that
was suppose to happen. Oh ye humanity!

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal