Improving load-history for modules

From: Spencer Baugh
Subject: Improving load-history for modules
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 18:06:00 -0400

If I have a module which is built from multiple source files each of
which define functions and variables, it would be nice for
find-lisp-object-file-name and/or symbol-file to return the actual file
that each function and variable was defined in.  That way
help-view-source works.

It doesn't seem like this is possible currently.

It used to be possible by manually adding entries to load-history inside
the module which corresponded to each function loaded.  But bug#30164
added proper load-history entries for modules, which shadow these, so
this doesn't work anymore.  Still, we still do this in
https://github.com/janestreet/ecaml

What's the Right Way to tell Emacs about the association between source
files making up a module, and the functions defined by that module?