Re: Should https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/efaq/Full

From: chad
Subject: Re: Should https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/efaq/Fullscreen-mode-on-MS_002dWindows.html be renamed to Maxmize-mode-on-MS_002dWindows.html ?
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:05:02 -0400

On Sat, Oct 21, 2023 at 7:07 AM Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> wrote:
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Probably not with this specific one, but other customizations of
> default-frame-alist could potentially have undesirable effects.

If we want to add this to the FAQ, perhaps we could add a disclaimer [...]

I don't have strong opinions about how frequently this (sort of) question comes up, but I can add a couple data points:

First, I've been doing this sort of frame configuration in early-init.el basically since it was added to master.

The general class of things that can cause problems, from my memory, is things where the setting depends on some gui-specific stuff that is not yet initialized during early-init. For example, conditioning on window-system is questionable. Another "common" problem I've seen is setting fonts in initial/default-frame-alist without checking to ensure that Emacs can find the named font. In fact, since the arrival of early-init.el, I have, at various times, conditioned the setting based on finding the font in font-family-alist, and/or moved the setting to server-after-make-frame-hook. These days I just set it unconditionally and live with the (very rare) trouble when setting up on a new system, but I wouldn't suggest that in a FAQ or piece of beginner advice.

If we want to try to gather some other settings that might apply to this case, I'll mention that setting menu-bar-lines, tool-bar-lines, vertical-scroll-bars, and scroll-bar-width in early-init.el have all helped avoid redraw/flicker on various systems in the past. Memory suggests that setting frame-inhibit-implied-resize in early-init.el can have an impact here, but those memories are partially based on a variety of older gui systems, and might be less impactful today.

As usual, I hope this helps,
~Chad