Re: emacs-29 889a550ca08: ; Fix Texinfo warnings

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: emacs-29 889a550ca08: ; Fix Texinfo warnings
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:24:21 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> What we are getting in org.texi is
>> org.texi:15975: warning: @anchor should not appear on @item line
>>
>> May someone familiar with Texinfo explain what is the problem?
>
> What is unclear in the warning's text?  I think it speaks for itself.

According to Texinfo manual:

    An anchor is a position in your document, labelled so that
    cross-references can refer to it, just as they can to nodes. You
    create an anchor with the @anchor command, and give the label as a
    normal brace-delimited argument. For example:

    This marks the @anchor{x-spot}spot.
    @xref{x-spot,,the spot}.

    It is best to put @anchor commands just before the position you wish
    to refer to; that way, the reader’s eye is led on to the correct
    text when they jump to the anchor. You can put the @anchor command
    on a line by itself if that helps readability of the source.
    Whitespace (including newlines) is ignored after @anchor.

I do not see any clear reason why one may not put @anchor at the same
line with @item.

In Org mode, we add @anchor at the same place where the corresponding
Org markup (<<<radio target>>>) is placed.

I guess we might try to put @anchor on a separate line just for the sake
of avoiding this warning, but I am not confident that it is always safe
and won't break Texinfo markup.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,