Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:07:42 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Pretty much everything loads cl-lib nowadays [...]
>
> That's not the issue, from my POV. the issue is whether all
> these places load cl-lib for good reasons. If not,
> they shouldn't.

But as you say, this is nothing specific to cl-lib.
Because without good reason, nothing should load anything.

> Are any of these commands loading cl-lib without
> a good reason?

There is no way to tell without examining each case. And case
here isn't a file but individual usage of whatever
cl-lib provides.

And, because cl-lib is just another Elisp library at the same
level and status as any other, we might generalize the
question from both ends, "Is any file loading anything without
good reason?" If so - yes, we should fix that.

And voilà, everyone agrees.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal