Re: Non-ASCII characters in Info files produced by Texinfo 7.1

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII characters in Info files produced by Texinfo 7.1
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:54:26 +0700

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 at 02:13, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Texinfo 7.1, released a few days ago, changed the behavior wrt
> characters produced from quotes, apostrophes and en- and em-dashes: by
> default, it now produces the ASCII equivalents.  So, for example, "--"
> in the Texinfo source remains "--" in the produced Info file, where
> previous versions would produce a real en-dash '–'.
>
> The main reason for this change is that it makes it easier to grep the
> Info files.

The proper solution to that would be to (1) teach grep and generally
all the other search tools the notion of Unicode canonical and
compatibility equivalence, and/or (2) teach people to type proper
punctuation and to demand input devices that make typing proper
punctuation easier.

Using ' for open single quote/close single quote/single
prime/apostrophe, " for open double quote/close double quote/double
prime, hyphen(s) for minus/en dash/em dash was a technical limitation
of the typewriter. ` as a character separate from àèìòù was born as a
technical limitation of the typewriter. We are no longer using
typewriters and should not be clinging to their artifacts.